Situated in the middle of Sydney Harbour, Fort Denison has a fascinating history and is an amazing lunch venue with stunning harbour views from the island restaurant.
- Sydney Harbour National Park Island (park fees apply)
- Became known as Pinchgut when the island was used as a convict punishment during early settlement
- The fort and tower was completed in 1857 and named in 1862 after the Governor of New South Wales from 1855-1861, Sir William Denison
- One of only two surviving Martello Towers in the Southern hemisphere (access only on guided tours)
- Parade Ground, Grassy area, Tide Gauge room and Museum audio visual display
- The Fort gun is fired at 1pm daily
- Restaurant open daily (reservations recommended)
Fort Denison Ferry – Daily
- Return ferry to Fort Denison from Circular Quay or Darling Harbour or Manly or Watsons Bay
- National Park entry fee to Fort Denison (excluding Martello Tower, guided tours & special event entry)
- Prices: Approximately Adults $20, Child (5-14yrs) $17, subject to change
Explore the self-guided displays and discover fascinating history by watching the audio visual presentation. Visitors are welcome to visit the restaurant (opens 10.30am) whilst on the Fort. Bookings essential call the restaurant on (02) 9358 1999.
Guided Tour Tickets of the Martello Tower - Daily
Join a half hour tour of Australia’s only Martello Tower with a NPWS guide and enjoy a magnificent 360 degree view of Sydney and its harbour. Explore the self-guided displays and discover more fascinating history from the audio visual presentation. Visitors are welcome to visit the onsite restaurant for a meal or snack (additional costs apply and bookings are recommended).
- Return ferry to Fort Denison from Circular Quay or Darling Harbour
- National Park entry fee to Fort Denison
- Guided tour of the Martello Tower
- Daily 10.30am, 12 noon & 2.15pm from Circular Quay, or 10.45am, 12.15pm & 2.30pm from Fort Denison
- Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Australia Day, Good Friday, New Years Eve and New Years Day
Prices: Approximately Adults $37.50, Concession $33, Child (5-14yrs) $29 and Family (2ad+2ch) $124 valid as at 01 April 2014 and subject to change
Bookings: Call Captain Cook Cruises on (02) 9206 1111 or NPWS (02) 9253 0888 / 1300 072 757
Download the Fort Denison Ferry timetable for details
Visitors to Fort Denison are encouraged to spend a few hours exploring the Fort however please ensure you meet your guide at the wharf on Fort Denison at your scheduled tour time.
Available at additional cost
- Upgrade to the Hop On Hop Off 24 Hour pass stopping at up to 9 famous Sydney Harbour destinations
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT TOURS
- There are three sets of narrow stairs in the tower
- Visitors to Fort Denison are welcome to spend time after the tour exploring the Fort grounds
- Bookings and prepayment is essential for all tours to guarantee availability
- Bring sturdy walking shoes, sunscreen, hat and water
- Toilets are available
- A restaurant is available on the island – pre-bookings recommended
- If you have pre-purchased your tour, please bring a copy of your booking confirmation or voucher to exchange for a boarding pass
- On the day of your tour all passengers must collect boarding passes from Captain Cook Cruises, No.6 Jetty Circular Quay 30 minutes prior to your ferry departure
- The ferry will depart from No.6 Jetty Circular Quay
- The tour begins on Fort Denison
- Tours are non-refundable
- Transfers to an alternative date within a three month period are available if requested 48 hours prior to the date of the original tour date booked.
- Tours operate regardless of the weather.
- Times and prices are subject to change without notice.
- Maximum 20 passengers per tour